These cookies are great to make on a rainy afternoon and contain no refined sugar. They also contain buckwheat (which is a seed not a grain) making them gluten free.
Time to make: 30 minutes Serves: 20 cookies
- ¾ cup buckwheat
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup rice bran syrup
- 1 egg
Raw chocolate glaze
- 4g Natava Superfoods Cacao Butter (available at Health 2000)
- 1 tsp Natava Superfoods Cacao Powder (available at Health 2000)
- ½ tsp rice bran syrup
- A pinch of salt
- Slithered almonds (to decorate)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Blend the buckwheat in a food processor until it resembles a powder. Add it to a bowl and mix in all other dry ingredients.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Take off heat and stir in the rice bran syrup. Add to the dry ingredients and mix. Finally, add the egg and mix.
- Roll the mixture into 20 balls and press down until 5mm thick. Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 7-10 minutes. Take the biscuits out and leave to cool.
- Once the biscuits have cooled, melt the glaze ingredients in a saucepan and drizzle on top, and decorate with a few slithered almonds.